In this post we discover you the illustrious Fuengiroleños. Because in Fuengirola have been born many important people of politics, sport and culture…
You can also discover more about Fuengirola and the Costa del Sol every day by visiting our blog.
Discover the Illustrious Fuengiroleños
Julio Anguita González was born in Fuengirola on 21 November 1941. He is a Spanish teacher and politician of communist ideology. Throughout his political career he has held various positions:
- He was mayor of Cordoba between 1979 and 1986.
- Secretary General of the Communist Party of Spain (PCE)
- General Coordinator of Izquierda Unida (IU).
Under his leadership, the IU coalition achieved its greatest electoral successes, far surpassing 2 million votes in the 1993 and 1996 general elections. In addition, in this last year more than 10% of the votes and 21 deputies. His period at the front of the United Left was distinguished by the demand for concrete programmatic agreements and the rejection of corruption.
For this reason, after its departure, the IU began a phase of decline.
Juan Gómez “Juanito” (Juanito)
Juan Gomez Gonzalez, known as Juanito was born in Fuengirola on November 10, 1954 and was a Spanish footballer.
Historical player of Burgos Football Club and Real Madrid Football Club, club to which he owes his greatest achievements and recognitions. He debuted as a professional in the Burgos team and stood out in it until joining Real Madrid, where he spent ten seasons, becoming a myth for his fans. After a sanction that disqualified him for five years without being able to play European competitions, for his aggression to Lothar Matthäus, he left the Madrid team and signed for two seasons with Club Deportivo Málaga. In which he contributed in his promotion to the First Division. It was in his home province where he retired from football practice in 1989.
Among his titles, five league championships and two UEFA Cups, all achieved as a Madrid player, stood out for their importance.
Performed as a forward and identified with a temperamental character, formed a couple in the attack madridista with Carlos Alonso Santillana mainly.
He died in a car accident in 1992. Some of the Real Madrid fans have paid tribute to him since then for his race and passion at the Santiago Bernabéu stadium with the song “¡Illa, illa, illa, Juanito maravilla!” during the 7th minute of the matches, number of his number.
Discover Others illustrious Fuengiroleños are:
- Valeriano Claros Guerra: space engineer, director of the Villafranca del Castillo Satellite Tracking Station, European Space Agency (ESA).
- Anabel Conde: representative of Spain in the Eurovision Song Contest 1995.
- Anni B Sweet: singer-songwriter.
- Susana Alva: member of the group Efecto Mariposa.
- María Barranco: actress.
- Jesús Gámez Duarte: football player.
- Theresa Zabell: sailor. Born in Ipswich (United Kingdom) but her family moved to Fuengirola a few months after her birth. Double Olympic gold.
- Pablo López: composer and singer.
- Belén Cuesta: actress. Although she was born in Seville, she spent her childhood and adolescence in Fuengirola.
How you can arrive to Fuengirola
You will need a vehicle to explore Fuengirola and surroundings freely. If you don´t have yours You can make two choices:
- The cheapest way to travel is the public But there is a big disvantage, because you will have to worry about its schedules ant waste time waiting for them.
- You can also book our car hire with Bahia Sexi. It will offer you freedoom and the privacy to explore the region in your own thing.
In addition, if you prefer second possibility, you can choose your favorite pick up point.
- Our service “Meet & Greet” is at you disposal at the Malaga Airport, where our staffs will meet you at arrivals area to deliver the car rental as soon as you arrive.
- We can also meet at the reception hall of your hotel, where the staff will deliver the car rental in Fuengirola. In the same way, you can return the car rental without leaving accommodation. So you can give the key to the receptionist after you park near.
- Our staff will be glad to deliver you the rental car, when you visit our office.
You can book it online to choose your favorite pick up point on our website.
If you need only one round trip, but prefer to spend your holidays other than with your hands behind the wheel, at Bahia Sexi we have an airport transfer service that will solve all your problems.
Contact Autosexi through their website or by calling +34 677 441 628 and get the ride you need.