In this post we discover the monuments of Fuengirola. Because it’s not going to be all sun and beach. In addition Fuengirola offers thanks to its history and a wide range of monuments.
If you want to discover everything about Fuengirola and the Costa del Sol, visit our blog every day. In which you will always find more information.
Monuments of Fuengirola and other places of interest:
It is an Arabic citadel over an earlier Roman fortress. It is located on a small isolated hill next to the mouth of the river Fuengirola. Most of what can be seen today is from the time of the Caliphate of Abderramán III. Phoenician and Punic remains have also been found in its surroundings, in the sites of Suel and Finca Acevedo.
It is a Roman archaeological site from the 1st to 5th centuries. It is next to Arroyo Pajares, in the neighbourhood of Los Pacos. The complex is divided in two by the N-340. It has two differentiated zones, a salting factory and a thermal zone. There is a porticoed room decorated with mosaics and two praefurnium (ovens) for heating the thermal baths.
Torreblanca Hot Springs
Archaeological site of Roman origin discovered in 1991. It consists of the remains of a thermal building in a good state of conservation.
Church of Nuestra Señora del Rosario
It’s the main Catholic temple in the city, in the Plaza de la Constitución. The Baroque style façade stands out, formed by two pilasters and a split pediment, although the current church dates from the 1940s.
Bioparc Fuengirola: Inaugurated in 1978, being refurbished and extended several times, has an area of 2 ha and about 1,300 animals of 140 different species.
Other places of interest
Fuengirola has three buildings included in the catalogue of the Andalusian Institute of Historical Heritage as notable examples of the architecture of the Modern Movement:
- Los Apartamentos Ópera, a 1962 work by the architect Andrés Escassi.
- The Galería building, located on the promenade.
- The Covered Municipal Swimming Pool, by the architect Luis Machuca Santacruz from 1999.
How you can arrive to Fuengirola
You will need a vehicle to explore Fuengirola and surroundings freely. If you don´t have yours You can make two choices:
- The cheapest way to travel is the public But there is a big disvantage, because you will have to worry about its schedules ant waste time waiting for them.
- You can also book our car hire with Bahia Sexi. It will offer you freedoom and the privacy to explore the region in your own thing.
In addition, if you prefer second possibility, you can choose your favorite pick up point.
- Our service “Meet & Greet” is at you disposal at the Malaga Airport, where our staffs will meet you at arrivals area to deliver the car rental as soon as you arrive.
- We can also meet at the reception hall of your hotel, where the staff will deliver the car rental in Fuengirola. In the same way, you can return the car rental without leaving accommodation. So you can give the key to the receptionist after you park near.
- Our staff will be glad to deliver you the rental car, when you visit our office.
You can book it online to choose your favorite pick up point on our website.
If you need only one round trip, but prefer to spend your holidays other than with your hands behind the wheel, at Bahia Sexi we have an airport transfer service that will solve all your problems.
Contact Autosexi through their website or by calling +34 677 441 628 and get the ride you need.