Discover The Roman Villa of Torrox
Torrox is a historic town on the coast of Malaga. And today in this post we discover the Roman villa of Torrox. Because Caviclum was a Roman city of the Conventus Gaditanus of the province of Baetica, in Hispania. Which was in the current site called Conjunto del Faro de Torrox.
Here it has been possible to document a villa a mare, and the thermal baths associated with it. There is also a salted fish factory, later reused as a necropolis, and two ovens.
They would integrate a pottery, destined to supply of products as much to the villa as to the next factory. It is recognized the presence of a significant complex of which it has been possible to register both the urban part and the fruitful one.
History of the Roman villa of Torrox
First of all its origin is the late Republican era. Because the last phase of construction in the 4th century A.D. is documented. Also on the basis of the known materials of the excavations and the analysis of the mosaics. Coins and ceramics dating from the 6th century AD have also been recovered.
The complete site
In the residential area there is also an atrium with a central impluvium of masonry. There are also other rooms and a rectangular peristyle. Slate has been used in the construction of the villa.
Both the atrium area and the various rooms were paved with geometrically decorated mosaics from the 2nd and 3rd centuries. As for the polychrome mosaics, ornamental themes typical of the 4th century are identified.
The subsoil of the Roman villa of Torrox
Also in the basement of the villa is located a double gallery vault like a cistern. Another noteworthy element is the presence of a structure on the western side of the façade that could be interpreted as a fountain.
Of the remains that make up the villa’s decorative system, a marble hermes of the “Macedonian Kings” type stands out. And also a bronze representing Minerva with peplo crossed by the strophium. In addition to other statues such as that of a bronze lion that presents abundant and curly manes, as well as open jaws with a small opening.
Other buildings in the Roman villa of Torrox
After the construction of the villa, some balnea were built at the end of the 1st century AD. Several service rooms, two caldaria, one laconicum and two tepidaria with a warm water swimming pool have been distinguished, forming part of these baths.
If you want to know more about Torrox, visit our blog.
How you can arrive to Torrox
You will need a vehicle to explore Torrox and surroundings freely. If you don´t have yours You can make two choices:
- The cheapest way to travel is the public But there is a big disvantage, because you will have to worry about its schedules ant waste time waiting for them.
- You can also book our car hire with Bahia Sexi. It will offer you freedoom and the privacy to explore the region in your own thing.
In addition, if you prefer second possibility, you can choose your favorite pick up point.
- Our service “Meet & Greet” is at you disposal at the Malaga Airport, where our staffs will meet you at arrivals area to deliver the car rental as soon as you arrive.
- We can also meet at the reception hall of your hotel, where the staff will deliver the car rental in Torrox. In the same way, you can return the car rental without leaving accommodation. So you can give the key to the receptionist after you park near.
- Our staff will be glad to deliver you the rental car, when you visit our office.
You can book it online to choose your favorite pick up point on our website.
If you need only one round trip, but prefer to spend your holidays other than with your hands behind the wheel, at Bahia Sexi we have an airport transfer service that will solve all your problems.
Contact Autosexi through their website or by calling +34 677 441 628 and get the ride you need.