Enjoy the gastronomy of Torre del Mar and grab a bite!
Torre del Mar, together with Vélez-Málaga, has its own extensive gastronomy, among which the most outstanding dishes are those of Easter. It was an ancient tradition that during Lent no meat was eaten. In this post we introduce you to enjoy the gastronomy of Torre Del Mar.
But if you want to know about Torre Del Mar and Costa del Sol, visit our blog.
They are typical dishes:
la ropa vieja: a variety of cabbage with potatoes, green beans, chickpeas, pumpkin, eggplant and meat.
- ajoblanco, cold soup made with almonds, garlic and breadcrumbs
- codfish cakes with honey
- the cachorreña soup
- the maimones, made with fried garlic and soaked bread
- the pescaíto frito
- the chanquetes
and, as for pastries, the mushrooms and the oil cakes.
The most typical dish of this municipality is ajobacalao, typical of Holy Week and exclusive to this enclave. Because this dish was born as a comforting food which was given to the fork-lift truckers at the end of the processional journey through the streets of that city. This tradition is still maintained today.
Sugar in Torre del Mar
In Torre del Mar there is a great tradition of sugar. Because there was an important sugar factory in the municipality.
In 1796, was when José García Navarrete began sugar production in Torre del Mar. And in 1846, the new factory is erected, following the Cuban industrial model by means of the steam engine. The “Fábrica Nuestra Señora del Carmen”, taking charge of the commercial exploitation until 1991.
In 1993 the central building of the factory was restored for its conservation, which is the one that can be visited today, having an eminently cultural use. Likewise, inside the building there are restored a blemish and a replica of a steam engine used in the process of obtaining the sugar.
How you can arrive to Torre del Mar
You will need a vehicle to explore Torre del Mar and surroundings freely. If you don´t have yours You can make two choices:
- The cheapest way to travel is the public But there is a big disvantage, because you will have to worry about its schedules ant waste time waiting for them.
- You can also book our car hire with Bahia Sexi. It will offer you freedoom and the privacy to explore the region in your own thing.
In addition, if you prefer second possibility, you can choose your favorite pick up point.
- Our service “Meet & Greet” is at you disposal at the Malaga Airport, where our staffs will meet you at arrivals area to deliver the car rental as soon as you arrive.
- We can also meet at the reception hall of your hotel, where the staff will deliver the car rental in Torre del Mar. In the same way, you can return the car rental without leaving accommodation. So you can give the key to the receptionist after you park near.
- Our staff will be glad to deliver you the rental car, when you visit our office.
You can book it online to choose your favorite pick up point on our website.
If you need only one round trip, but prefer to spend your holidays other than with your hands behind the wheel, at Bahia Sexi we have an airport transfer service that will solve all your problems.
Contact Autosexi through their website or by calling +34 677 441 628 and get the ride you need.