Enjoy the History of Torre del Mar
Because Torre del Mar isn’t just sun and beach. We present you to enjoy the history of Torre del Mar in this post.
Also if you want to know more about Torre del Mar and the Costa del Sol, as always visit our blog.
Enjoy the History of Torre del Mar
Antiquity and Origins of the History of Torre del Mar
First of all, the origins of the nucleus of Torre del Mar date back to the Phoenician and Greek periods. And during the Roman period the locality, known as Maenoba, acquired a certain notoriety for its commercial importance.
Subsequently, written references appear in the 11th century, in the memoirs of Ab-dallah, the last Ziri king of Granada, with the Arabic name “Mariyyat Ballis” – مَرِيَّةبَلِّش.
During the 15th century, Torre del Mar was dedicated to the defence of the area from foreign invasions and pirate attacks.
Opposite these coasts, on 24 August 1704, a naval confrontation took place between the English navy, which had just a few days ago conquered Gibraltar, and the French navy. Which is the Naval Battle of Velez-Malaga. In this battle, Blas de Lezo lost a leg when he was a cabin boy in a Spanish frigate.
Already in the nineteenth century, Torre del Mar is taking its current form, was composed of four neighborhoods:
- that of the Parish
- of the Vineyard
- of the New Houses
- and the Castle Neighbourhood
At the end of the 19th century and beginning of the 20th century Torre del Mar already has railways and roads, which facilitates the development of this town.
From the beginning of the 20th century, tourism was its objective. Because in the early years of the twentieth century built several spas, in order to attract tourism.
Although it is not until the 60s, when tourism begins to change the physiognomy of this place, which grows significantly, with large avenues, large buildings, a promenade and an important infrastructure to assume the current tourism.
Its port, now defunct, was in its time an ideal place for the refuge of boats arriving on the coast.
Torre del Mar enjoyed its own town hall for a short period of the 19th century, between 1842 and 1848, but economic difficulties led back to the administrative dependence of Velez-Malaga, which remains to this day.
A spa town since the beginning of the 20th century to try to attract tourism, it was in the 1960s when the area experienced an important urban boom.
How you can arrive to Torre del Mar
You will need a vehicle to explore Torre del Mar and surroundings freely. If you don´t have yours You can make two choices:
- The cheapest way to travel is the public But there is a big disvantage, because you will have to worry about its schedules ant waste time waiting for them.
- You can also book our car hire with Bahia Sexi. It will offer you freedoom and the privacy to explore the region in your own thing.
In addition, if you prefer second possibility, you can choose your favorite pick up point.
- Our service “Meet & Greet” is at you disposal at the Malaga Airport, where our staffs will meet you at arrivals area to deliver the car rental as soon as you arrive.
- We can also meet at the reception hall of your hotel. Where the staff will deliver the car rental in Torre del Mar. In the same way, you can return the car rental without leaving accommodation. So you can give the key to the receptionist after you park near.
- Our staff will be glad to deliver you the rental car, when you visit our office.
You can book it online to choose your favorite pick up point on our website.
If you need only one round trip, but prefer to spend your holidays other than with your hands behind the wheel. At Bahia Sexi we have an airport transfer service that will solve all your problems.
Contact Autosexi through their website or by calling +34 677 441 628 and get the ride you need.