The Cave of Nerja, beautiful to be discovered by yourself!
The cave of Nerja is a cave located in Maro, a hamlet of the Spanish municipality of Nerja (Málaga).
In addition, the Cave of Nerja is proposed as a “Place of Spanish geological interest of international relevance” for its paleontological and geomorphological interest.
Also you can learn everything about Nerja in our blog.
Discovery of the Cave of Nerja
On January 12, 1959, when five young people from Maro and Nerja decided to go and catch bats at a well known as La Mina.
Once they entered that cave, they found a current of air. They searched for it with the flashlight and saw that it came from a narrow fissure that they could not cross because two stalactites prevented it.
The next day they came back with tools. Then one of them penetrated through the narrow chimney until he found a cant from which he could jump to the ground. From here he warned the others and crawling through another narrow passageway and then rising they managed to reach a large gallery where the light of the lanterns was lost.
There they found some skeletons lying next to some ceramic bowls.
It would not be until the second visit, when a doctor and a photographer. Those who took some photos were published in the newspaper Sur, making known internationally the “Cueva de Nerja” (Nerja Cave).
Opening to the public the Cave of Nerja
After several explorations, the authorities become aware of its scientific and monumental importance. That is why the Delegation of Archaeological Excavations of Malaga prepared the cave for the visits.
Inaugurated in 1960 after several discoveries of more gallery and passageways.
Asset of cultural interest
The enormous patrimonial wealth of the Cave of Nerja made that, a year after its opening to the tourism, it was declared Historical Artistic Monument.
In 2006, the Cave of Nerja was declared an Asset of Cultural Interest with the category of Archaeological Zone.
How to arrive to Nerja
You will need a vehicle to explore Nerja and surroundings freely. If you don´t have yours You can make two choices:
- The cheapest way to travel is the public But there is a big disvantage, because you will have to worry about its schedules ant waste time waiting for them.
- You can also book our car hire with Bahia Sexi. It will offer you freedoom and the privacy to explore the region in your own thing.
In addition, if you prefer second possibility, you can choose your favorite pick up point.
- Our service “Meet & Greet” is at you disposal at the Malaga Airport, where our staffs will meet you at arrivals area to deliver the car rental as soon as you arrive.
- We can also meet at the reception hall of your hotel, where the staff will deliver the car rental in Nerja. In the same way, you can return the car rental without leaving accommodation. So you can give the key to the receptionist after you park near.
- Our staff will be glad to deliver you the rental car, when you visit our office.
You can book it online to choose your favorite pick up point on our website.
If you need only one round trip, but prefer to spend your holidays other than with your hands behind the wheel, at Bahia Sexi we have an airport transfer service that will solve all your problems.
Contact Autosexi through their website or by calling +34 677 441 628 and get the ride you need.