Holy Week in Ronda, like Seville and Malaga, has the title of Andalusian Tourist Interest, although it is not a provincial capital. There are 15 processions carried out by 14 brotherhoods.
Every year it is celebrated on a different date between the end of March and April because it has to coincide with the first full moon of spring.
The week extends from Palm Sunday to the following Sunday which is Easter Sunday. There are processions every day of that week except Tuesday and Saturday because it is mourning.
Some thrones are accompanied by musical bands, musical groups or musical chapels.
A little history of Holy Week in Ronda
Its origin begins with the expulsion of the Muslims from Ronda by the Catholic Monarchs at the end of the 15th century. There are documents on processions from the middle of the 16th century.
Since 1713 a receipt has been kept for the payment of ten Masses for the soul of Brother Diego de Chaves of the Brotherhood of Our Lord Ecce-Homo.
It is also said that Miguel de Cervantes, writer of Don Quixote, frequented the late sixteenth century Ronda to collect taxes. And that is why he had the opportunity to meet several Ronda Brotherhoods.
Processions Day by Day of Holy Week in Ronda
Friday of Sorrows
- Via Crucis “The Captive”
- Brotherhood of “La Pollinica”
- B. of the “Prendimiento”.
- Brotherhood of the Gypsies:
- Easter Monday
- Brotherhood of “Our Lord Praying in the Orchard”
On Holy Tuesday there are no processions. Therefore, since 1974 a Via Crucis has been organised by the Agrupación de hermandades y cofradías de la ciudad (Association of brotherhoods and brotherhoods of the city).
- Brotherhood of “The Column”
- Brotherhood of “The Silence”
- Brotherhood of the “Vera Cruz”
- Ecce-Homo brotherhood.
- Brotherhood of “Father Jesus”
- Brotherhood of “Las Angustias”
- B. of the “Holy Burial.”
- Brotherhood of “La Soledad”
- Brotherhood of the “Resurrected”
Do you want to rent a car and enjoy the Holy Week in Ronda?
You will need a vehicle to explore Sevilla and surroundings freely if you don’t have yours. You can make 2 choices:
- The cheapest way to travel is the public transport. But there is a big disadvantage, because you will have to worry about its schedules and waste time waiting for them.
- You can also book our car hire with Bahia Sexi. It will offer you freedom and the privacy to explore the region in your own thing.
In addition, if you prefer the second possibility, you can choose your favorite pick up point:
- Our service “Meet & Greet” is at you disposal at the Malaga Airport, where our staffs will meet you at the arrivals area to deliver the car rental as soon as you arrive.
- We can also meet at the reception hall of your hotel, where our staff will deliver the car rental in Sevilla. In the same way, you can return the car rental without leaving your accommodation. So you can give the key to the receptionist after you park it near.
- Our staff will be glad to deliver you the car rental, when you visit our office.
You can book it online to choose your favorite pick up point on our website.