Discover the Holy Week in Granada and enjoy your days!
Bahia Sexi wants to show you the Holy Week in Granada. Because the Holy Week of Granada represents the Passion of Jesus Christ with sculptural sets that procession (steps) through the streets of the city, accompanied by penitents and devotees.
In addition in Granada there are processions every day of Easter.
It is also worth mentioning that it has been a Festival of International Tourist Interest since 2009. And it was chosen by popular vote as the most spectacular Holy Week in 2017.
However, there were processions from Granada in the 16th and 17th centuries. It was at the beginning of the twentieth century when this tradition was expanded and consolidated. Thirty-two brotherhoods and 34 Nasrid courtships take part.
History of the Holy Week in Granada
First of all the Brotherhoods and Christian institutions were created in Granada since the seizure of Granada in 1492.
Also at the beginning of the 20th century, the archiepiscopal support and the resurgence of the local bourgeoisie led to the rise of Holy Week. This rebirth began in 1909 with the procession of the Holy Burial Magno. In the 1920s, seven new brotherhoods of penance were founded.
In addition in 1936 Federico García Lorca wrote a narration for Unión Radio about Holy Week in Granada.
The Processions of Granada Day by Day:
- Hermandad de la Borriquilla
- Hermandad de la Santa CenaHermandad de la Sentencia
- Brotherhood of the Despoiled
- Brotherhood of the Captive
- Brotherhood of Work
- The Brotherhood of Dolores
- Brotherhood of Our Father Jesus of the Rescue, Trinitarian Brotherhood
- Orchard Brotherhood
- Brotherhood of St. Augustine
- Brotherhood of the Lanzada
- The Brotherhood of the Way of the Cross
- Brotherhood of Hope
- Brotherhood of La Cañilla
- Gypsies Brotherhood
- Students Brotherhood
- Brotherhood of the Three Falls
- Brotherhood of the Nazarene
- Conch Brotherhood
- Brotherhood of the Salesians
- Brotherhood of the Aurora
- Sisterhood of the Star
Brotherhood of Silence, this brotherhood makes the procession of Silence, the most spectacular of all. All the lights of the city are extinguished and only the beating of the drums is heard.
- Brotherhood of the Railwaymen
- Brotherhood of Favors
- Piarist Brotherhood
- Brotherhood of the Holy Burial
- Brotherhood of the Shias
- Brotherhood of the Alhambra
- Brotherhood of the Resurrection
- Brotherhood of the Risen One
- Procession of the Facundillos
Are you searching for a cheap car hire to enjoy the Holy Week in Granada?
You will need a vehicle to explore Granada and surroundings freely if you don’t have yours. You can make 2 choices:
- The cheapest way to travel is the public transport. But there is a big disadvantage, because you will have to worry about its schedules and waste time waiting for them.
- You can also book our car hire with Bahia Sexi. It will offer you freedom and the privacy to explore the region in your own thing.
In addition, if you prefer the second possibility, you can choose your favorite pick up point, because we offers:
- Our service “Meet & Greet” is at you disposal at the Malaga Airport, where our staffs will meet you at the arrivals area to deliver the car rental as soon as you arrive.
- We can also meet at the reception hall of your hotel, where our staff will deliver the car rental in Granada. In the same way, you can return the car rental without leaving your accommodation. So you can give the key to the receptionist after you park it near.
- Our staff will be glad to deliver you the car rental, when you visit our office.
You can book it online to choose your favorite pick up point on our website.